Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Brotherhood of Al Forum Index -> OT General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Namasute

re: Top Chef Masters

OK, so, was anyone else upset that Hubert didn't win the finale? I thought his line-up was amazing. Granted, Rick had an amazing set-up as well... that black mole he did sounded like it was absolutely to die-for.

Now, this doesn't all have to be about the show... What are some of your culinary experiences? Interests, recipes you want to share, cool ideas y'all wanna try things like that. Cooking is almost as much a passion of mine as my artwork, or making a vehicle that doesn't run, run.

My personal favorite food is either lasagna, or siopao... so far anyway. Kat and I can make a mean lasagna too, home-made sauce and all. One day I'll master noodle making and do it all right there. The day I learn to make siopao is the day I never do anything but make it and eat it. It's SO good.

Board Newb

Well, sence Jason and I dont have cable and our local station comes in looking like a war between the black and white ants, I have only a vague idea what show you are talking about. But, I also love to cook, I thought I would share one of our favorite recipies. This is a very simple one pot meal (that can be done in the crockpot as well) and is great for anyone who likes fajitas without all the work. wink Keep in mind that because it is done in one pot, it is not exactly what you would get from a resturant, but I have had several people say they like it better. Anyway, on that note here we go:

3 lbs. beef roast or stew meat
1 each: red, yellow, green bell peppers
1 lg. onion
1 medium jar of your favorite salsa
1 pkg. tortillas
shredded cheese
sour cream

Cut beef into bite size piesce and put in a large deep skillet. Cut peppers and onions into strips and add to skillet. Add the whole jar of salsa. (you can add a little bit of water to the jar and dump it into the skillet to get all the good stuff out if need be, but if you are doing this in the crockpot I dont recomend it.) Cover and cook until meat is done. When done, remove the lid and cook a little longer until thickened.

Scoop into warm tortillas and top with cheese and sour cream.

This dish is very easy to adjust to your personal tastes, or to add and subtract from. As I said eariler, this is one of our favs, so if anyone tries it, please let us know what you think.

Oooo, that sounds good. I may have to give that a try here in the future... albeit I'd have to omit the peppers. While I love them enough to eat them raw, Kat gets squeamish with them, so...

Anyways, To keep in the spirit of one-pot dishes (and that I've not felt very good recently) I think it's time I share my the Chicken soup recipe my mother taught me forever ago. Even if you aren't sick, you can never go wrong with a good bowl of chicken soup.

3 chicken breasts (any size) cut up however you want
3-4 carrots
3-4 celery sticks
Half of a white/mayan onion (chopped) (( I like mayans because they're sweeter))
2 cloves of garlic (chopped/pressed)
1 can of Italian seasoned stewed tomatoes
Olive oil
Salt/pepper to taste

Put some olive oil into the bottom of a decent sized pot, and heat. When heated, saute the garlic till it starts to clarify a little. Toss in onions and saute till they clarify. Then toss in carrots, celery, tomatoes and chicken. Cover with water then let simmer till chicken's done, stirring occasionally. When finished, you can serve it with some freshly grated parmesan or romano cheese to give it a really nice flavor. And there you have it. The cold killer.

Board Newb

That sounds really good! The only thing its missing is some green chili Happy

Y'know, I really dunno if I'd put green chili in there or not. It's not really supposed to be a spicy food. Just one of those brothy/hearty "mmmm" soups.

And if any of y'all have a good duck recipe, hit me up... Kat and I haven't a clue how to prepare this thing XD

OK, so, I've never watched Kat make her fettucine sauce before, so I finally got to when we were visiting my folks the day before yesterday... Here's about how it goes...

1/2 stick of butter
8 tbsp. Flour
2 cups water
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 cup milk
Salt to taste
Garlic powder to taste

Start by melting the butter in a sauce pot/pan/whatever :P. Slowly add flour to the butter, about a half tbsp at a time, mixing it so that there are no lumps. Once flour is mixed in, slowly add water a little at a time, while stirring, also to avoid lumps (we messed up on the previous attempt, and added it all at once... it never really mixed together, and looked more like a nasty gravy attempt >.<). When water is mixed in, let it get to a boil. When boiling, add heavy cream, stirring while adding. Then add the milk, salt, and galric powder, stir, and let simmer, stirring occasionally. Once it's as thick as you like it, you're ready to pour it over your fettucine noodles.

You can also add a light, dry, white wine to the sauce while simmering. Adds a delicious note or two, methinks. Anywho, enjoy!

Guild Master
Board Learner

re: Sounds Good!

I'll have to get Dawn to try that!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: