Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Brotherhood of Al Forum Index -> OT General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Namasute

re: Computer Ideas

What to get... what to get...

So, I'm on the market for a really good gaming notebook. I'd purchased what I'd perceived to be a lean, not-so-green gaming machine. However, even with 4gb of Kingston xtreme something-or-other RAM, an ATI Catalyst 512 MB Video card, a 128GB HDD, and a 2.2GHz AMD processer, I have a hard enough time walking through Org with my graphics turned DOWN, let along play a game like Half-life 2, Dead Space, Crysis *which I wanna play so bad*... Hell, I can't even play Team Fortress 2 with it's simple graphics. I dunno what's up, honestly.

Not that it matters much, since the dumb thing went and killed itself on me. So any ideas for a top-of-the-line yet affordable machine would be exquisite.

Guild Master
Board Learner

re: Laptop Specs

First, I'd reconsider if you really need a laptop. The biggest issue with most of them is heat. A good video card will kill you with heat issues and feel like an oven on your lap.

I use HP a lot, and while they are not the best, they are far from the worst. Running a quick config I ran up these specs:

Components
• Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (32-bit)
• Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad Processor Q9000 (2.00Ghz, 6MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB)
• 6GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm) - For 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 130M
• 320GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
• 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 130M - For DDR3 Memory
• 18.4" diagonal High Definition HP Ultra BrightView Infinity Display (1920x1080p)
• Blu-Ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD+/-R/RW Double Layer

This came out to just over $1800. The important things are:
- A good stock of RAM (XP 32 bit can only use just under 4g, Vista can ru nmore although I don't like the OS for technical reasons)

- A dedicated video card running its own memory (A lot of laptops have video cards that 'share' the system memory... Avoid that like the plague!)

- A fast hard drive. (7200 rpm minimum. 'Best' would be something with an 80g main drive an a large data drive but that does bump up the cost)

- A good processor will always help out. But again you will get into the heat issues. And the higher you go the less benifit vs. cost you will get out of it.

- Lastly your Antivirus DOES matter! Norton and McAfee are system hogs that eat computing resources. If you got a tweeked gaming rig, you won't notice, but on a laptop where every resourse counts, you will notice. Especially when it starts eating your RAM. Trend Micro does seem to have the best bang for the buck without loading a system too much. (It's what I personally use)

So without knowing your budget, that's probably the best I can give you. If you let me know the $$ range you can spend and I'll spec a few systems for you from different vendors. (Unless you prefer one or the other)

hope that helps Happy

I'm not running any anti-virus atm... and I already know to avoid those two at all cost... Ugh, Norton... Also, I'd like to get a solid state HDD, however, those are astronomically expensive, I will pass.

I like a laptop due to it's mobility. I know I'm sacrificing some aesthetic performance, but I don't need exceptional graphics, just a smooth frame rate, and solid performance without the system lag. and 1800 is about what I paid for this one. I got it from a site called www.ibuypower.com

If I remember right, it was the Battalion 101 17" wide-screen. I was trying to avoid Pentium, but apparently, AMD isn't the monster it used to be. and I've never been fond of ATI to begin with, but I suppose different chipsets use different cards. Oh well.

But yeah, something at around 1800 would be good

Guild Master
Board Learner

Ok, not to preach... But an Antivirus is a MUST. Seriously there are too many virus out there to run without one.

Recommending a given laptop is really a shot in the dark because you can't tell exactly how they perform until you get them. That's the reason i was listing specs rather than giving you a link to a spcific laptop.

AMD is still really good, but you want to be looking at multiple cores where you can. However the more oomph you get the more heat you get, which is the laptop killer.

Go to one of the major sites (HP, Gateway, Dell, whichever you prefer) and play with a config. If they have ANY option for better cooling take the best they have. Load it out with a dedicated video card, at least 4g of RAM, fast hard drive ,and a dual or quad core. (WoW does support multiple cores believe it or not)

While I have heard bad things about Alienware systems, this is along the lines of what I'm talking about. (And changing it up to 4gig of RAM puts it at $1,799)

http://www.alienware.com/customize/M17-notebook.aspx?Syscode=PC-LT-M17&SubCode=SKU-WALLET

Man, I'd love to get my hands on one of those... particularly the one that looks like a freaking B-2 bomber. Le sigh.

Yeah, apparently, these guys have no record at all of my purchase for this computer, so... I'm not gonna recommend IBuyPower to anyone... ever. I think I may just get this one fixed, then see if I can sell it for about 1k or something...

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: